Kirbyville CISD 1 to 1
Welcome to the official information page for the KCISD 1 to 1 Chromebook Initiative. On this page you will find information about the program as well as helpful tips for Chromebook use by the students. If you have any questions please email our Director of Technology, Jimmy Gaspard, by clicking here.
General Program Description
Kirbyville CISD began a 1 to 1 (1 device to each student) Chromebook Program in the 2018-2019 school year. While working on the funding of the project in 2018, KCISD was presented with a couple of Grant opportunities to fund a 1 to 1 tech lending program. With the award of two major grants, the T-Mobile EmpowerEd Grant and the TEA Tech Lending Grant, the program was catapulted from a one grade level plan to nine grade levels! This means that all students in grades 4 - 12 will be receiving a Chromebook for them to use for learning, both in the classroom and at home. This is an amazing opportunity for our students to boost their learning and give them access to more educational resources than ever before!
As of 2020, the program has been expanded to include 1 device for every student in grades PreK - 3 in their classroom. Pre-K & Kindergarten will use iPads and 1st - 3rd grades will use Chromebooks in the classroom.
Verizon Jetpack Devices (updated 2020-2021)
Verizon Jetpack devices are available for checkout for students in grades 4 - 12 with a restriction of 1 - jetpack per household. These devices have unlimited bandwidth and will allow multiple students in the household to connect for the purpose of completeing their educational assignments and projects.
We have 2 models of Jetpack available. They both work the same, the difference is in the method of filtering.
- Verizon Jetpack 900L
- This unit will be the most common unit checked out to students.
- Includes CIPA filtering by CyberReef.
- Students with this jetpack model will have 2 filters enabled when used with the KCISD Chromebook which is filtered by GoGuardian.
- Verizon Jetpack 8800L
- This unit does not include a CIPA filter so KCISD Tech must lock down the jetpack to only allow the KCISD Chromebook devices that are checked out to the students in that particular household to connect. (Because of this setup procedure, this model may take longer to be checked out to a student than the 900L)
- All KCISD Chromebooks are filtered by GoGuardian.
- No other devices may be connected to this model. This proccess of limiting the connection to only the KCISD Chromebooks in the household will insure that KCISD is not providing any unfiltered access to the internet as outlined in CIPA regulations.
In order to receive a jetpack for the current school year, parents must complete and return the Parent/Student MiFi Agreement Form. The form can be picked up in the campus library or you can download a copy HERE.
KCISD has chosen to partner with Verizon Wireless in an effort to bring internet connectivity to our student households with the Wireless Vendor whose signal covers the highest percentage of our school district area.
Security and Filtering
Kirbyville CISD is very dedicated to the safety and security of your children physically as well as electronically on the internet. As a part of our safety preparedness, the Chromebooks will have multiple layers of internet filtering. The first layer is the district CIPA (Childrens Internet Protection Act) filter while students are using them at school. Then, the 900L Jetpacks will have CIPA filtering through CyberReef and the 8800L Jetpacks will be locked down to only allow the KCISD Chromebook to connect. And lastly, we have installed on every Chromebook, the GoGuardian CIPA filtering product that will protect the Chromebook no matter what WiFi connection they are using, anywhere in the world.